- 66 ECTS in biological areas (SSD bio), of which at least 6 in BIO/01 Botanica generale (General Botany), BIO/02 Botanica sistematica (Systematic Botany), BIO/04 Fisiologia Vegetale (Plant Physiology), BIO/05 Zoologia (Zoology), BIO/06 Anatomia comparata e citologia (Comparative Anatomy and Cytology) (at least 12), BIO/07 Ecologia (Ecology), BIO/09 Fisiologia (Physiology), BIO/10 Biochimica (Biochemistry), BIO/11 Biologia Molecolare (Molecular Biology), BIO/18 Genetica (Genetics), BIO/19 Microbiologia Generale (General Microbiology).
- 12 ECTS in FIS/01 - FIS/08 Fisica (Physics), INF/01 - Informatica (Informatics), ING-INF/05 - Sistemi di elaborazionedelle informazioni (Information processing systems), MAT/01-MAT/09 Mathematics.
- 12 CFU in CHIM/01 - Chimica analitica (Analytical Chemistry), CHIM/02 - Chimica fisica (Physical Chemistry), CHIM/03 - Chimica generale e inorganica (General and Inorganic Chemistry), CHIM/06 - Chimica organica (Organic chemistry).
Other students graduating in the same class L-13, who have not followed a course of study in line with the CBUI indications or in class 12 Biological Sciences (ex DM 509/99), or in other classes, may be admitted provided they have an adequate number of ECTS, not less than 90 ECTS, in the disciplinary sectors (SSD) indicated above.
For students graduating in class L-25, i.e. agricultural and forestry science and technology (Scienze e Tecnologie Agrarie e Forestali) and related classes, ECTS acquired in the following disciplinary sectors will also be considered for admission purposes: AGR/02 Agronomia e Coltivazioni erbacee (Agronomy and field crops), AGR/03 Arboricoltura generale e coltivazioni arboree (Arboriculture and Fruitculture), AGR/07 - Genetica agraria (Agricultural genetics), AGR/12 Patologia vegetale (Plant pathology), AGR/13 - Chimica agraria (Agricultural chemistry), AGR/16 microbiologia agraria (Agricultural Microbiology), AGR/17 Zootecnica Generale e Miglioramento Genetico (Livestock systems, animal breeding and genetics), VET/01 Anatomia degli Animali Domestici (Veterinary anatomy), VET/02 Fisiologia Veterinaria (Veterinary physiology).
Proficiency in English at a B2 level or higher, under the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), is required for admission. The B2 level requirement will be assessed as follows:
- Language certificate at or above B2, obtained no more than three years earlier. For the list of language certificates recognized by the University of Milan review: https://www.unimi.it/en/study/language-proficiency/placement-tests-and-…). The certificate must be uploaded when submitting the online application;
- English level achieved during a Bachelor's degree programme through the University Language Centre (SLAM) courses and tests. The test must have been passed within the last four years.
All those who fail to submit a valid certificate will be allowed to take the admission interview, but will only be admitted to the MSc Plant Science if their level of English proficiency is unequivocally good.
The adequate personal preparation of the candidates, their ability to communicate in English and their motivation are decisive elements for the admission and will be verified during the admission interview.
The adequate knowledge of the fundamentals of biological disciplines will be verified through the evaluation of the bachelor study program and the direct assessment of the candidates scientific knowledge. The candidate's background knowledge in Biology will be verified through an interview with the Admission Committee, consisting of teaching members appointed by the Teaching Board. The interview will assess the candidate competence on topics related to Plant Science and will ascertain the candidate's knowledge of English.
The committee evaluates the candidate on a 100-point scale:
- up to 25 points will be given for the graduation grade; for undergraduates the average grade of the sustained teaching activities will be evaluated;
- up to 10 points for the curriculum (type of degree, extra-curriculum free courses, Erasmus experience, etc.);
- up to 65 points for the interview.
A minimum total score of 60 out of 100 points is required for admission.
For the Academic Year 2023-2024, interviews will take place on June 21st, 2023 at the Department of Biosciences, via Celoria 26, room B8. The call for applications for the academic year 2023-2024 will be published in March/April 2023 and will contain detailed instructions (https://www.unimi.it/en/education/plant-science). Students must present a valid ID document for identification purposes. Foreign applicants not resident in Italy who have achieved their bachelor's degree abroad will be evaluated on the basis of their CV and may be invited for an online interview.
It is advisable to check for any updates regarding exam dates and times on the website https://plantscience.cdl.unimi.it/en or by writing to the Master's programme email firstname.lastname@example.org.
After admission, enrollment at both universities (UNIMI and UGA) is required, but tuition fees are due only at the University of Milan. Specific campus fees for the running of programme may be asked at UGA.
Places available: 10 + 3 reserved for non-EU citizens
Call for applications
Please refer to the call for admission test dates and contents, and how to register.
Application for admission: from 15/03/2023 to 12/06/2023
Admission test date and venue: 21/06/2023 - DIP. DI BIOSCIENZE, VIA CELORIA 26, room b8
Application for matriculation: from 29/06/2023 to 07/07/2023
Attachments and documents
The deadline for submitting the application for admission of non-EU students resident abroad has been extended to 12 June 2023.
For students enrolled on bachelor’s, master’s and single cycle degree programmes are divided into two instalments of different amounts and with different payment deadlines:
- the first, corresponding to the minimum amount, is the same for all students
- the second - technically referred to as an ‘all-inclusive fee’- that is variable.
The University provides:
- A no tax area for students on track with exams and not on track with exams for one year with ISEE certification until 20.000 €.
- Fees exemption on account of merit, income or disability, or if they meet other specific requirements;
- Concessions for students meeting high merit requirements;
- Diversified tuition fees according to the student's home country for international students with assets/income abroad;
The University also provides:
- Part-time study
- Financial aid, refectory service, accommodation,
- Awards and scholarships
Admission, ranking and enrolment
- Registrar office - contacts
- Online information desk InformaStudenti (please register for the first access)
- International students: welcome desk
- Students with disabilities
- Students with SLD
Programme tutoring and contacts